- Encyclopedia of Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants CD Rom , ISBN:9789385345098
- Embelia ribes Burm. F
- Ceropegia juncea Roxb
- Sonneratia caseolaris
- Cassia fistula- its Ayurveda property, usage and pharmacological study
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 3
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 2
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 1
- पारसीकवचा- Smilax china
- पार्वती - Linum usitatissimum
- पापचॆलिका- Cissampelos pareira (medicinal herbs)
- पातालगरुडी- Cocculus hirsutus
- पाण्डुरद्रुमः- Hollarhena antidysenterica
- पाण्डुफलः- Trichosanthes dioica (medicinal herb)
- पाण्डुकः- Oryza sativa (medicinal plant)
- पाण्डु- Teramnus labialis
- पाठी - Plumbago zeylanica
Herbs - Medicinal plants usage and Identification Data base
Coffea arabica Linn.
Habitat Grown in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala.
English Arabian coffee.
Siddha/Tamil Kaapi, Bannu.
Action Diuretic, antinarcotic, psychotropic agent, direct heart stimulant (raises blood pressure). Neutralizes therapeutic effects of many herbs; potentiates the action of aspirin and paracetamol; depletes the body of B-vitamins. Charcoal of the outer seed parts—astringent, absorbent.
Key application Powdered coffee charcoal—in nonspecific, acute
diarrhoea; local therapy of mild
inflammation of oral and pharyngeal
mucosa (average daily dose 9 g). (German Commission E.)
According to WHO, coffee drinking is not responsible for breast cancer and may protect against cancer of colon and rectum. Caffeic and chlorogenic acids in coffee act as anticarcinogens.
Bronchial asthma is less frequent among coffee drinkers due to caffeine and theophylline.
The aroma components include several furfuryl methyl mercaptan derivatives. Coffee extracts yielded organic acids. Atractyloside, several sterols and acids, as well as alkaloids, have been reported. Caffeine is the major alkaloid of coffee. One cup of coffee contains approx. 60—120mg caffeine; other active constituents include chlorogenic acid, caffeol and diterpenes.
Chlorogenic acid in coffee might inhibit glucose-6-phosphatase, which might lower hepatic glucose production caffeine seems to stimulate pancreatic beta cells to secrete insulin.